On the west side of the spacious Marketplace we find the old Council Chambers. This house stands out especially with its unusual street-side gable, showing the side of the house instead of the front, as was tradition. This turning-away from tradition is meant to emphasise the importance of the council chambers of a free city of the kingdom. We see the year 1699 etched into the ledge of the archway on the original porch. This date leads us to deduct that Franz Beer, a master builder from the Vorarlberg, was responsible for the creation of this building. The standing golden Madonna still seen on the gable is especially noteworthy.