The Niggel Tower
13. The Niggel Tower
On the way to the Niggel Tower we see houses from later dates on the left side of the street. The whole district was completely burned down in 1789. The Niggel Tower was not inside the city walls. It was built as a free-standing watch and prison tower. The lower part of the tower built in the 14th Century was capped off by the eight-sided top at the end of the 16th Century and thus received its striking appearance. Today you will find a fool’s museum inside which depicts the great tradition of the Alemannic carnival. The mischievous fool carved in stone is the symbolic figure for Gengenbach’s carnival.
THE CITY WHICH KEEPS ITS EYE TOWARDS GOD AND BUILDS ON HIM WILL BE WELL-OFF. THE HOST NOT ROBBED. (Year 1582)
This slogan is inscribed on the Niggel Tower.
The Offenburg Tower, also called the Lückeltor, stands next to the Niggel Tower. It was unfortunately the victim of a renovation project from the last century.